Witt Printing’s History
Witt Printing Company became a corporation in 1960. The company was founded by E. C. (Cleo) Witt, and his father, the late Omer F. Witt. Prior to becoming a corporation, Witt Printing’s history was quite lengthy for in the early 1920’s hand-fed presses could be found running in the back part of Omer Witt’s general store in rural St. Clair County. During World War II the elder Mr. Witt was located in Kansas City making aircraft parts while the younger Mr. Witt was serving his country in the U.S. Air Force.
In 1946, with the interest of printing ever-increasing in his mind, the printing shop soon enlarged and was situated in the basement of Omer and Virgie Witt’s home in the Blackjack community. Register forms flowed out of that location until 1949 when a decision was made, due to telephones and shipping facilities, to move into the town of El Dorado Springs. Within a year’s time Witt Printing moved again because of the growing pains, and made a move again two years later. 1962 became the most momentous year in that there was a decision to separate the printer’s transactions from the machinist’s construction.
On July 1st, 2004 Witt Printing was acquired by Ennis, Inc. (NYSE: EBF). While working under the Ennis umbrella Witt continues to manufacturer register, unit-set, cut-sheet, and continuous business forms that are dispersed nationally through professional independent distributors, printing brokers, and stationers. Our distributors design and provide forms for custom and made-to-order business recording applications. We print the orders to their specifications. We pride ourselves on our expertise and service to the distributor who in-turn is trusting us with producing high quality products with every order. Our growth is evidence that we have been successful in giving our distributors the service and reliability they require.